SMA’s Virtual Table Talks are one-hour informal discussions to promote the sharing of knowledge between archivists working in Mississippi galleries, libraries, archives, and museums. Each talk will feature a speaker who will share their experience and knowledge on a given topic. For more information on this series, or if you are interested in presenting, please contact Carrie P. Mastley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Talk: “Intersectional DEI,” presented by Michelle Ganz of History Factory, December 3, 2021 at 12:00 noon
Diversity and Inclusion must be intersectional to be successful. The speaker will discuss strategies for management/leadership and staff for how to create a truly diverse and inclusive environment that fosters and supports social justice efforts in archival environments. The ideas that will be discussed can be applied to a variety of situations from museums and academic institutions to your daily lives. Change comes from a thousand little acts, not one giant leap.
- “We have no leaders, we are all leaders!”: Collecting and Celebrating the 1969 Black Student Sit-In at Delta State College – Carrie Freshour, Ted Fisher, Arlene Sanders, Sykina Butts, Tyler Wells, Michelle Johansen, and Emily Jones (July 31, 2020)
- Community Collaboration: The Margaret Walker Center and the Scott-Ford House, Inc. – Angela D. Stewart and Dr. Alferdteen Harrison (September 25, 2020)
- My Artifact Needs an Agent: How to Celebrate and be a Good Steward of Popular History – Baldwin Chiu, Larissa Lam, and Emily Jones (November 20, 2020)
- “The Burial Ground is Common Ground”: Researching and Presenting The Eighth of May Emancipation Celebration in Columbus, MS – Mona Vance-Ali and Chuck Yarborough (February 26, 2021) – due to technical difficulties, Part 2 with Chuck Yarborough had to be recorded separately
- Against All Odds: Telling the Stories of the First Black Legislators in Mississippi – DeeDee Baldwin, Karen Burch, and Bianca Ford (May 21, 2021)
- Mississippi University for Women’s LGBT+ Oral History Collection: From Student Project to Growing Collection – Nichole Bonaventure-Larson, Joshua Herrick, Victoria Jones, and Bridget Pieschel (June 25, 2021)
- Podcasting and Archival Outreach: A How-To From SAA-UA’s Student Chapter – Laura Daly, Aria Skyler, and Curtis Forte (October 28, 2021)