This year, our speakers were asked to present on the theme “New Faces, New Futures” – or how they envision the future of archives. We have an exciting slate of presenters who will give their talks over the course of two days. See the tentative schedule below.
Thursday, April 21
- 8:30 AM: Welcome from the SMA President, Mona Vance-Ali, Archivist, Columbus-Lowndes Public Library
- 9:15 AM: Program Guide for Archives, Victoria Patrick, MLIS Student, University of Southern Mississippi
- 10:30 AM: Gathering Collections for Underrepresented Groups in Your Archive, Mandy Laurence Hornsby, MLIS Student, University of Southern Mississippi
- 11:30: Lunch
- 12:30 PM: Reorienting Perceptions of Racism: A Case Study of the Equal Justice Institute’s Legacy Museum, Rori Holford, MLIS Student, University of Southern Mississippi
- 1:45 PM: Panel Discussion: Descriptive Equity and Historic Sheet Music, Jennifer McGillan, Coordinator of Manuscripts, Mississippi State University and Lauren Geiger, Metadata Librarian, Mississippi State University; Metadata Musical: Perspectives on Digital Archives Management, Xavier Sivels, History PhD Candidate, Mississippi State University
Friday, April 22
- 8:30 AM: Digital Collection Cliff Notes: Repackaging Research in a Virtual Environment, Jennifer Brannock, Curator of Rare Books and Mississippiana, University of Southern Mississippi and Elizabeth La Beaud, Digital Lab Manager, University of Southern Mississippi
- 9:45 AM: Disaster Stories: Using the Stories of the Past To Influence the Present and Future, Jeff Hirschy, Professor of Library and Information Science, University of Southern Mississippi
- 11:00 AM: New Faces, Old Materials: Engaging First Year Students in Archives and Special Collections, Hali Black, First Year Experience Librarian & Learning Design Coordinator, University of Southern Mississippi
- 12:00 PM: Lunch
- 1:00 PM: Pivot! Pivot! Engaging Primary Source Literacy through Semi-Virtual Game Experiences, Autumn Johnson, Special Collections Librarian, Georgia Southern University
- 2:15 PM: SMA Board of Directors Meeting, All SMA members and interested parties are invited to attend, especially those interested in leadership in the organization.